How to create Alexa Routines for Ring Video Doorbell
Ring is now one of the devices supported by Amazon’s Alexa Routines, meaning you can create custom actions involving Ring devices.
In this feature we’re explaining how to do that so you can setup your own Routine and get more from your Ring and Alexa devices.
First of all you’ll need to have a Ring device and an Alexa device, like an Amazon Echo. You’ll need to have both devices setup and connected to your home network and you’ll need the Ring Skill enabled in your Alexa app.
This will allow Alexa to see your Ring devices and figure out what they can do.
Creating an Alexa Routine for Ring
Alexa Routines are pretty easy to make, following the step-by-step process in the Alexa app.
- Open the Alexa app and open the menu on the left-hand side. Tap Routines.
- Tap the + in the top right-hand corner and you’ll be able to create a new Routine.
- Tap on the “When this happens” box and you’ll be presented with a number of options. Tap “device” and a list of trigger devices will be listed. Select your Ring device, then the type of action you want – for example, doorbell or motion.
- If you select doorbell, then pressing the doorbell becomes your trigger. Save that and move to step 5. If you select motion, you have the option of an action occurring when motion is detected or when motion isn’t detected for a period of time you can choose. This allows you to have “no movement” as a trigger. For example, you can turn a light on when movement is detected, and then have it turn off when no movement is detected.
- Once you’ve saved your trigger action, you can then decide what you want that action to do in the “add action” box. There’s a whole range of options here – that might be Alexa saying something when the doorbell is pressed, it might be turning on lights or changing the colour. Just tap the action boxes and you’ll see what can be done.
- Once you’ve saved an action you can add other actions to make a more complex sequence. Remember to press save in the top right-hand corner.
Alexa Routines provides a lot of options and the great thing is you can experiment to get the actions you want happening. Everything will be listed in the Routines section of the Alexa app and it’s easy to delete a Routine if you decide it’s not doing the right thing.
Make sure you also read our tips and tricks on how to get the most out of your Ring Video Doorbell.