iOS 13 features: What to expect from Apple's next major software update
It’s not due for several months but rumours of what might appear in iOS 13 have already been doing the rounds and we have a wish list of our own too. Here’s everything we know so far about iOS 13.
iOS 13 release date
- September 2019
We expect some of iOS 13’s new features to be detailed at the beginning of June 2019 during Apple’s Worldwide Developer Conference, with a release in September 2019 alongside the new iPhones.
iOS 13: What the rumours say
Other features expected to arrive with the iOS 13 build include changes to the CarPlay interface, improvements to iPad file management and new iPad specific features including a new Home screen and the ability to tab through multiple pages in an app, as you can with a browser.
iOS 13: What we want to see
Apple’s iOS has evolved significantly over recent years and while it isn’t as customisable as Android, it still delivers a great experience.
Often with major software features, you don’t know what you want until you get them, but there are a couple of little things we’d like to see in iOS 13:
- Secure group FaceTime calls
- Widgets on the home page
- Adaptive Home Screen icons (moving clock, current weather etc)
- Singular inbox
- Ability to resize icons in the Control Centre
- Ability to access Wi-Fi and Bluetooth menus from Control Centre
- More conversational Siri
- Split-screen multi-tasking on iPhone
- Ability to change default apps
- Customisable status bar
- Always on display
- Animoji app
- Improved Downtime support
- Family app or multiple logins
- Support for multiple users on iPad
- Ability to add a mouse to iPad
- Apple Watch unlocking for iPad
- External storage support for iPad Pro through USB Type-C
- Apple Pencil support for larger iPhone models
iOS 13: What devices will be compatible
Apple’s iOS 12 is available for iPhone 5S and above, iPad mini 2 and above and the iPod touch 6th generation.
It wouldn’t be too surprising to see compatibility dropped for the iPhone 5S and iPad mini 2 for iOS 13, but for now, we will have to wait and see.